North Shore in Staten Island has quite a few interesting sites that we ended created two walking tours. This is a walk which goes through parts of the North Shore towards the East Shore to visit Garibaldi-Meucci Museum and the Our Lady of Mount Carmel Shrine. The last two exhibitions are part of the East Shore.
Office Building & US Lighthouse Depot Complex, St. George, SI
This office building is slowly deteriorating, although it is expected to be renovated once this area is redeveloped. The architect was Alfred Bult Mullett, who was the supervising architect for the US Treasury from 1866-1874. His other work in New York City was the City Hall Post Office & Courthouse, NYC which was demolished 1939.
The National Lighthouse Center & Museum is in the former site of the US Lighthouse Service (USLHS) General Depot at St. George Staten Island. The Lighthouse Museum has miniatures of numerous lighthouses around the world. It provides a good history of the manufacturing of lighthouses. There are plans to expand the museum facility which will allow them to exhibit more of their collections.
This park is in the Tompkinsville neighborhood. It was founded in 1930’s. There are several interesting monuments here. The first is the Watering Place which was erected in 1925. There is also a sculpture by Allen G. Newman called the Hiker. It was built in 1916. This lone soldier with a rifle over his shoulder was built to honor the local soldiers. The sculpture represents the Spanish-American War soldiers.
This church is over 160 years old and is in the Historic District of Stapleton Heights. It is a Lutheran Gothic church. Their stained glass windows were designed and manufactured in Munich by Franz Mayer & Co. The very first windows were “The Resurrection” and “Suffer the Children” and it was commissioned in 1914.
This is another church in the Stapleton neighborhood. St. Paul’s Memorial Church is an Anglo-Catholic Episcopal church and it was built in 1866. It listed in the National Register of Historic Places and NYC Landmarks.
This was the old Staten Island Savings Bank Stapleton which was organized in 1867 and founded by Francis George Shaw. It is a Beaux Arts classicism style. The architects were Delano & Aldrich and it was landmarked in 2006. In 2009 during the banking crisis, State Island Savings Bank was bought by Banco Santander. This building is in the Historic District of Stapleton.
This park is named after a World War I veteran, James Tappen. This is one of the oldest public parks since it was in the former village center. Prior to 1934, this park was called Washington Square based on laws written in 1867. The old village hall is a Romanesque and Gothic styles.
The original or old part of the library was built in 1907 by Carrere and Hastings. It was also a Carnegie library. It was renovated by adding 7,000sq.ft new structure by Andrew Berman Architect and completed in 2011. The entrance was moved to the new structure. It combined the new with the old.
The old Bayley Seton Hospital
Originally Mariners’ Family Asylum of the Port of New York, it is now the reception center for the Ne York Foundling Staten Island Services.
The Rosebank section of the East shore is the location of this museum. This 1840 Gothic Revival house was the home of Antonio Meucci. The story of this immigrant inventor is one of the saddest you will hear. He was also a friend of Giuseppe Garibaldi, the Italian revolutionary leader. Meucci offered his home to Garibaldi to stay there while he was visiting the United States. When you visit this home, you will learn the history of these two men and also the unification of Italy. A very interesting presentation of these two men.
Our Lady of Mount Carmel Shrine
This shrine is located in In 1907 a group of Italian men founded Our Lady of Carmel Society. One of the organizers was Vito Louis Russo, who became the second president of the Society and bought the land for the shrine. When the shrine was first being built, it was first done by hand–stones pressed into wet cement. In 2000 this shrine/grotto was designated a National and State Historic site.