NORTHERN & NORTHWEST BROOKLYN
Want to know what wonderful museums, historical museum houses, sculptures you will encounter in Northern Brooklyn, check the neighborhood you want to visit below.
(boundaries: Atlantic Ave. to Old Fulton St., East River to Court St./Cadman Plaza)
This was once called Brooklyn Village. Before the Brooklyn Dodgers moved to Los Angeles, this was where they had their headquarters. Another historic fact is that this was New York's first Historic District. This area has more pre-Civil War buildings than any other neighborhood in the United States.
MUSEUMS/HISTORICAL HOUSES & DISTRICT
- BROOKLYN HISTORICAL SOCIETY, 128 Pierrepoint Street (718) 222-4111
- PLYMOUTH CHURCH, 57 Orange Street. (718) 624-4743
- CADMAN PLAZA PARK: Cadman Plaza East bet. BQE and Tillary St. Brooklyn, NY
- BROOKLYN WAR MEMORIAL by Charles Keck
- BROOKLYN KOREA WAR VETERANS PLAZA by George P. Vellonakis
- WILLIAM JAY GAYNOR MONUMENT by Adolph Alexander Weinman
BROOKLYN NAVY YARD
(boundaries: between Williamsburg, Manhattan Bridges)
Today the Brooklyn Navy Yard is a modern industrial park and it has a unique museum celebrating the yards history. The Yard has gone through numerous changes during its history. Before leaving office President John Adams authorized the establishment of 5 naval shipyards. The Brooklyn Navy Yard was one of them; established in 1801 and it closed in 1966. When it closed, the yard was the oldest active industrial plant in New York.
MUSEUMS/HISTORICAL HOUSES & DISTRICT
BROOKLYN NAVY YARD MUSEUM - BLDG. 92, 63 Flushing Ave.(intersection of Carlton & Flushing Ave.)
(boundariess: Wyckoff St./Warrent St. to Sands St., Flatush Ave. to Court St./Cadman Pl.)
Originally Brooklyn inhabited by the Lenape Indians. Later a Dutch town of “Breuckelen” back in the 17th century, finally the English took control. After the English possessed New Netherland, the name changed to Brooklyn. Downtown Brooklyn became a commercial center after Robert Fulton's steam ferry launched.
- COLUMBUS PARK, Adam St., Court St., Cadman Plaza West bet. Johnson St. and Fulton St. Brooklyn, NY
- KOREAN WAR VETERANS PLAZA in between Cadman Plaza West and Cadman Plz East
(boundaries: Sands St. to East River, Brooklyn Bridge to Manhattan Bridge)
Dumbo is the acronym for "Down Under Manhattan Bridge Overpass" created by artists who had been priced out of Manhattan. They hoped that this name would deter developers from encroaching on this area. In 2007 it became a City landmark district.
(boundaries: Atlantic Av. to Nassau Ave/Flushing Av., Pratt Inst./Classon Ave to Flatbush Ave.)
General Nathaniel Greene supervised the building of a Fort Putnam in 1776. The fort changed its name to Fort Greene and the area took its name for this fort. The Brooklyn Navy Yard is the northern border.
- URBAN GLASS, 647 Fulton Street, Ft. Greene (718) 625-3685
- BROOKLYN ACADEMY OF MUSIC, (BAM) 30 Lafayette Avenue, Ft. Greene (718)636-4100
- BRIC ARTS MEDIA HOUSE, 647 Fulton Street, Ft. Green, (718)855-7882
(boundaries: Eastern Pkwy to Atlantic Ave, Franklin Ave. to Flatbush Ave.)
Its name may have come about because of a newspaper article in 1889. It is an area that is desirable for families since it is centrally located for varied cultural institutions.
It has brownstones from the 1800's to brand new housing buildings.
- BROOKLYN BOTANICAL GARDEN: Washington Ave., Flatbush Ave. bet. Eastern Pkwy. and Empire Blvd. Brooklyn, NY or check NYC Parks
- Call of the Sea Sculpture by Harriet Whitney Frishmuth
- Indian Maid and Fawn
- GRAND ARMY PLAZA - designed by Calvert Vaux - entrance to Prospect Park
- Soldiers' & Sailors Arch by John H. Duncan & collaboration of others
- Bailey Fountain by architect Edgerton Swarthout & sculptor Eugene Savage
- John F. Kennedy Monument by Neil Estern
- Gen. Gouveneur K. Warren by Henry Baerer
- Gen. Henry Warner Slocum by Frederick William MacMonnies
(boundaries: N-Flushing Ave; W-Clauson Ave; E-Broadway; S-Atlantic Avenue)
The name is a combination of the village of Bedford and a neighborhood that was named after Peter Stuyvesant during the Dutch period of colonization. Most of its current residents are middle class African-Americans.
(boundaries: N: Flushing Ave.; S-Brownsville; SW-Broadway; SE-Cemetery of the Evergreens; NE: Queens border)
Peter Stuyvesant named this area Boswijck meaning "little town in the woods" in Dutch. This was one of the original six Brooklyn towns; although it covereda much larger area than it does today.
- HEISSER TRIANGLE- Knickerbocker Ave., Myrtle Ave., Bleecker St. Brooklyn, NY
- BUSHWICK RIDGEWOOD WAR MEMORIAL by Pietro Montana
- Heisser Square Park Tree Markers
- MURAL STREET - Troutman Street
boundaries: N.14th St/Nassau Ave/McGuiness Blv to Newtown Creek, Nwtown Creek to East River
This area wa originally settled by a Norwegian born immigrant named Dirck Volckertsen. The area was bought b Pieter Praa and his daughters family were the main inhabitants of the area. Neziah Bliss married into the Meserole family and bought most of the farms. He developed transportation to Manhattan causing growth to this community.
- MONSIGNOR McGOLRICK PARK- Russell St., Monitor St. bet. Nassau Ave. and Driggs Ave. Brooklyn, NY
- GREENPOINT WAR MEMORIAL by Carl Augustus Heber
- MONITOR and MERRIMAC MONUMENT by Antonio de Filippo
(boundaries: Flushing Ave to North 14th St./Nassau Ave, McGuinness Blvd/Meeker Ave., Bushwick Ave to Kent Ave.)
A man ahead of his time, Richard M. Woodhull, bought land in this area and hoped to convince New Yorkers from other parts to move there. Unfortunately, it failed. When the Wallabout and Newtwown Turnpike was bult in the 1800's Woodhull's dream slowly became realized when people began to move into the area. Today, it is still one of the most desirable areas in Brooklyn to live.
- WILLIAMSBURG ART & HISTORICAL CENTER, 135 Broadway, Williamsburg, Bklyn (718) 486-7372
- BADAME SESSA TRIANGLE- Leonard St., Withers St., Meeker Ave. Brooklyn, NY
- BADAME SESSA MEMORIAL SQUARE
- MEMORIAL GORE- Metropolitan Ave., Maspeth Ave., bet. Humbolt St. and Bushwick Ave. Brooklyn, NY
- BUSHWICK WAR MEMORIAL by Piccirilli Brothers
- MEMORIAL GORE Metropolita Ave. Maspeth
- McCARREN PARK- N. 12 St., Lorimer St., Manhattan Ave. between Bayard St. and Berry St. Nassau Ave.
- FATHER POPIELUSZKO STATUE by Stanislaw Lutostanski
- Bound Hands Rising Free by Tom Cleveland
- McCARREN PARK WORLD WAR II FLAGSTAFF by Hans Holsing
- FATHER GIORGIO TRIANGLE- Jackson St., Lorimer St., Meeker Ave. Brooklyn, NY
- FATHER GIORGIO MEMORIAL by A.S. Cianfarani
- CONTINENTAL ARMY PLAZA- S. 4 St. bet.ween S. 5 Pl. and Roebling St. Brooklyn, NY
- SCULPTURE of GEORGE WASHINGTON at VALLEY FORGE by Henry Merwin Shrady